Wednesday 25 February 2009

What's in a name?

With yet another week gone by in which I have done absolutely no exercise, it has struck me that people will have a view of me, due to my username, which isn't strictly accurate.

So, let me explain.....

Around Easter 2007 I took up running in an effort to be able to eat as much chocolate as I wanted without any c0nsequences to my waistline. The once-a-week jog quickly became something a little more frequent and before long I was going out 3 times a week. Not running marathons, of course - 20 minutes seemed enough effort!

Then with a need to have a goal, I signed up for a Race for Life which was great and boosted my motivation levels.
A 10k in aid of Cancer Research that October and then I was starting to think big!!

I had a great plan that during 2008 I would run 2 half-marathons - one in Nottingham in September and another in London in October. I signed up and paid for both races (yes, it's amazing - people actually pay to put themselves through that kind of thing!)

I managed to increase my training bit by bit, joined a running club so I could run with a group once a week to help get me out of the house when the sofa and telly seemed too tempting and although it was never going to be easy, I was fairly sure I could manage it. Needing a username for something at the time - a running route website I think - I named myself 'halfmarathongirl'.

Anyway, about 2 weeks before the Nottingham race - disaster! An injury to my foot - plantar fasciitis (not sure how you spell it.) This meant that walking was painful, never mind running, and the recovery period of about 8 weeks ruled me out of both races.

I had just got back into the running when I discovered I was pregnant and suddenly my motivation was gone.

But the username lives on, as a reminder to myself that I have a goal yet to be completed, and I'm already starting to look forward to running after the baby is born to shift the baby weight.

Luckily Lent started today and I have decided to give up chocolate (again....this is what I do every year, apart from the one in which I was already on such a strict diet that I had nothing left to give up, so gave up Coronation Street instead!). Oh yes, the running may have stopped but the chocolate eating was progressing extremely well so it's time to call a halt.

Could do with some chocolate now but will be strong. Children have decided to give up playing with their DS and still carry on eating chocolate. Don't think there was ever any hope of my finding solidarity in the family on this one!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hun, glad to learn about your name! I was going to ask cos I am about to do a half marathon, my reason for taking up running was the same as yours, I ended up moving on swiftly from 10km like you and have booked in for two half marathons..the soonest in 4 weeks! aagh- I am still 3st overweight and only doing 6 miles- 7 more to go!

    ReplyDelete